Sunday, December 13, 2009

The Final Stretch...

Final projects, that is. I've been working on them since 5 pm Saturday night. Yes, you counted right, for fourteen hours straight (the last three hours listening to Adam Lambert on repeat--don't judge, a friend sent me the music video and it's maddeningly catchy. And between you and me, really hot. Leather leather leatherleatherleather).

It's now 7 am. As you might imagine, I feel like vomiting. Insert quip about bulimia here.

Here's what's on my table currently:

3 by you.
2D: 5-page picture book based off a poem. I chose "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star". What, you thought it was only a song? 'Fraid not!

The Star
Jane Taylor

Twinkle, twinkle, little star,
How I wonder what you are!
Up above the world so high,
Like a diamond in the sky.

When the blazing sun is gone,
When he nothing shines upon,
Then you show your little light,
Twinkle, twinkle, all the night.

Then the traveller in the dark,
Thanks you for your tiny spark:
He could not see which way to go,
If you did not twinkle so.

In the dark blue sky you keep,
And often through my curtains peep,
For you never shut your eye
Till the sun is in the sky.

As your bright and tiny spark
Lights the traveller in the dark,
Though I know not what you are,
Twinkle, twinkle, little star.

Medium: watercolor.
Progress: 80% 5 watercolors done, still awaiting scanning & editing in Photoshop, printing, and mounting. This will all be done today, because it's due Monday and it has to be completed perfectly and photographed before my 9 am class.

2 by you.

3D: life-size plexiglass corset. That's right. Because my last experience with plexiglass wasn't an utter, hair-pulling, banshee-wailing disaster. Hopefully this time will be better. This project is supposed to represent tension and compression, which will be demonstrated (hopefully) by the lacing of the corset. Wish me luck it doesn't splinter into a million shards.
Materials: plexiglass, sheet metal, screws, grommets, lacing. Must go to Ace Hardware today.
Progress: 0% It's not due until Wednesday. Yes, I know I'm mad. I have to be to attempt this, though, so it's all good.

Drawing: 3-piece series from imagination. I'm doing Alice in Wonderland--I know, totally original choice, right? Our teacher even showed an Alice piece in her collection of example works. Oh well. I started out with Repo! the Genetic Opera, but after doing the first piece twice (once in graphite, once in watercolor) and the second once and having all three be thoroughly unsatisfactory (ensuing meltdown), I let go of my Repo dream and stuck with good ol' fashioned Alice. At least she's easy to draw.
Medium: watercolor.
Progress: 15% Inking is done, and the background and Alice's dress are painted. Working on it now, so hopefully be tonight I will have not fucked up the first piece and it will be finished because all three are due Friday and I don't have enough to to have another meltdown and start over.

1 by you.


Not to mention I have my final test in Perspectives in World Art and Design (aka Art History) on Tuesday morning. My Monday schedule will probably be as follows:

9:00 am-12:00 pm: 2D class
12:00 pm-Godknowswhen pm: work on corset, make satisfactory progress. Hopefully get pieces cut out and shaped, holes drilled, etc. If I'm not a blubbering mess by that point I'll try to assemble it.
??:?? pm-1:00 am: study for Perspectives class.


Yes, I know, bedtime at 1 am, wimpy wimpy. But seeing as I certainly haven't gotten any sleep tonight (morning!) and very likely might not be getting much the following night, I choose not to hallucinate during my Art History final.


Update tonight. Back to Alice. Maybe food/coffee break later. I could really go for a corndog.

No comments:

Post a Comment